AviSource takes one or more files - not only AVI but also WAV (audio), AVS (AviSynth scripts), and VDR (VirtualDub frameserver) files. There is built-in Audio Compression Manager support for decoding compressed audio tracks (MP3, AAC, AC3, etc). If more than one file name is given, AviSource returns a clip with all files joined end to end. For the files to be joined, the media properties must be compatible - see Notes below.
WavSource will open a WAV file, or an audio-only AVI file. It will also return the audio stream from a normal video+audio AVI. This might be useful if your video stream is damaged or unreadable, or simply as a shortcut for AviSource(...).KillVideo.
Syntax and Parameters
AviSource(string filename [, ...] [, bool "audio", string "pixel_type", string "fourCC", int "vtrack", int "atrack", bool "utf8"])
AviFileSource(string filename [, ...] [, bool "audio", string "pixel_type", string "fourCC", int "vtrack", int "atrack", bool "utf8"])
OpenDMLSource(string filename [, ...] [, bool "audio", string "pixel_type", string "fourCC", int "vtrack", int "atrack", bool "utf8"])
- string filename =
- bool audio = true
- If true, load the first audio stream, or the stream specified by atrack if present. If false, audio is disabled.
- string pixel_type = "FULL"
- Chooses the output color format of the decompressor. Valid values are listed in the table below. This argument has no effect if the video is uncompressed, as no decompressor will be used in that case.
- If omitted or "FULL", AviSynth will use the first format supported by the decompressor, in the order shown in the table below.
- If "AUTO", AviSynth will use the alternate (older) order as shown.
- For planar color formats, adding a '+' prefix, e.g.
AviSource(..., pixel_type="+YV12"), tells AviSynth the video rows are DWORD aligned in memory instead of packed. This can fix skew or tearing of the decoded video with bad codecs when the width of the picture is not divisible by 4.
- For planar color formats, adding a '+' prefix, e.g.
- string fourCC = (auto from source)
- Forces AviSynth to use a specific decoder instead of the one specified in the source file. See FourCC for more information.
- int vtrack = 0
- Specifies a numbered video track. Track numbers start from zero, and are guaranteed to be continuous (i.e. there must be a track 1 if there is a track 0 and a track 2). If no video stream numbered vtrack exists, an error will be raised.
- int atrack = 0
- Specifies a numbered audio track. Track numbers start from zero, and are guaranteed to be continuous (i.e. there must be a track 1 if there is a track 0 and a track 2). If no audio stream numbered atrack exists, no error will be raised, and no audio will be returned.
- There is a limit (of about 50, sometimes fewer) AviSource calls in script - see discussion. If the limit is exceeded, you will see the error message
- AVISource: couldn't locate a decompressor for fourcc ....
- If you need to join more AVIs, try VirtualDub (limit > 700)
- Media properties must be compatible, meaning they must have:
- the same height and width;
- the same color format (as presented by the decoder);
- the same frame rate (precisely the same, not approximately); and
- the same audio sample rate, bit depth and number of channels.
- See the VirtualDub blog post Appending streams and mismatch errors for a more in-depth explanation.
Windows 7 users
- WavSource under Windows 7 is unable to load WAV files with 32-bit IEEE Float samples having the WAVEFORMAT structure. You can use ffmpeg to rewrite the header to an extensible format (just do a stream copy; it always writes extensible headers)
- Sometimes the colors will be distorted when loading a DivX clip in AviSynth v2.5 (the chroma channels U and V are swapped), due to a bug in DivX (5.02 and older). You can use SwapUV to correct it.
- AVISource can also open DV type 1 video input (only video, not audio).
- Some video files get decoded with the wrong color standard ('Rec601'/'Rec709') or luma range ('Full'/'TV'). This problem can arise if the input and output color formats are different, forcing a conversion. To avoid this conversion, try to specify another, compatible output format - for example:
- If that does not work, try FFmpegSource, LSMASHSource or (if absolutely necessary) DirectShowSource.
10+ bit inputs
- When a classic 'pixel_type' shares more internal formats (such as YUV422P10 first tries to request the v210 then P210 format) you can specify one of the specific format directly. Note that high bit-depth RGBP (Planar RGB) is prioritized against packed RGB48/64.
- The 'FourCCs for ICDecompressQuery' column means that when a codec supports the format, it will serve the frame in that one, Avisource then will convert it to the proper colorspace.
Full support list. Non *-marked formats (FourCC column) are supported since r2724. 'pixel_type' Avs+ Format FourCC(s) for ICDecompressQuery YV24 YV24 *YV24 YV16 YV16 *YV16 YV12 YV12 *YV12 YV411 YV411 *Y41B YUY2 YUY2 *YUY2 RGBP10 RGBP10 G3 r210 R10k r210 RGBP10 r210 R10k RGBP10 R10k RGBP RGBP10 G3 r210 R10k RGBP12 G3 RGBP14 G3 RGBP16 G3 RGBAP10 G4 RGBAP12 G4 RGBAP14 G4 RGBAP16 G4 RGB32 RGB32 *BI_RGB internal constant (0) with bitcount=32 RGB24 RGB24 *BI_RGB internal constant (0) with bitcount=24 RGB48 RGB48 BGR b48r RGB64 RGB64 *BRA b64a Y8 Y8 Y800 Y8 GREY Y Y8 Y800 Y8 GREY Y10 Y1 Y12 Y1 Y14 Y1 Y16 Y1 YUV422P10 YUV422P10 v210 P210 v210 YUV422P10 v210 P210 YUV422P10 P210 YUV422P16 YUV422P16 P216 P216 YUV422P16 P216 YUV420P10 YUV420P10 P010 P010 YUV422P10 P010 YUV420P16 YUV420P16 P016 P016 YUV422P16 P016 YUV444P10 YUV444P10 v410 v410 YUV444P10 v410
More on codecs
Some reference threads:
- C programmers note: backslashes are not doubled; forward slashes work too
- Splice two clips together; the following statements do the same thing.
- Splice two clips together where frame rates do not match.
- Splice two clips together where one of them contains no audio.
- Disable audio and request RGB32 decompression
- Open a DV, forcing the Canopus DV Codec
- Open a file, forcing the XviD Codec
- Open a YV12 video with a bad codec where the width is not a multiple of four
- opens the first video and second audio stream of a clip
|r2724||Added 10+ bits new color formats|
|v2.60||Added new color formats, "AUTO" and "FULL".|
|Added multiple video and audio stream support|
|Add '+' to pixel_type for padded planar support.|
|v2.55||Added fourCC option.|